1 cup canola oil or butter ¼ cup ground pistachios
1 ½ cups light brown sugar 2 tablespoons dried, crushed rose petals
3 tablespoons rose water
4 eggs, separated (room temperature)
1 cup whole plain yogurt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
¼ cup rice flour
1 ¾ cups unbleached flour
2. In the mixing bowl of a mixer, blend the oil, sugar and rose water. While mixer is running, add the egg yolks one by one. Add the yogurt and continue to blend until creamy. I just used my hand held mixer in a regular bowl.
3. Sift together the baking soda, baking powder, salt cardamom, rice flour, and unbleached flour, and gradually add to the egg yolk mixture. Blend for a few minutes – do not over mix.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the flour mixture using a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into lined molds. Decorate each cupcake with the ground pistachios (and rose petals). The garnish is optional.
5. Place the pan in the centre rack of the oven and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a tester comes out clean (aka, toothpick) Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
6. When ready to serve, arrange the cupcakes on a footed cake dish.